I was thinking about what to post for my Tuesday 5 while I was in the midst of making my supper. It is cold, icy, and snowy outside today and I drove home through a very pretty snowfall that was coming down fairly densely. When I got home there was only one thing I wanted for supper - something warm! Which made me contemplate my top 5 cold weather foods.
We're going to talk in specifics here people, because while soup is obviously going to be on this list, there are certain types that are better than others.
5. Goulash! One of my favorite cold weather meals, it's all encompassing. Meat, pasta, tomatoes, and cheese, plus a little kick with the chili powder. Yum!
4. Shepherds Pie. I just started making this one last year, but the combo. of ground beef, tomatoes, and mashed potatoes makes this warm your tummy up right!
3. Chili. There's nothing like coming home to a crockpot full of my husband's chili. The smell is fantastic and it tastes even better! He loads it up with 3 kinds of beans, ground beef and steak, as well as several kinds of peppers. I'm sensing a theme in my dishes.
2. Malt o' Meal. Now here's where I break away from my theme, because when I want something quick, easy, delicious, and nutritious, that will warm me up, I have to have Malt o' Meal. I know, I know, some people hate it because of the texture, but with a splash of milk and some sugar, it is my favorite pairing with coffee, in the morning or the evening. (It's what I made for supper tonight.)
1. Tomato soup and grilled cheese. Top marks for a reason, whether out of a can (with milk) or homemade, nothing hits the spot like creamy tomato soup and gooey, cheesy grilled cheese. A little on the dark side, making sure the bread gets full cheese coverage. Superb!
What are your favorites?
Have a great week!!