Do you know what I like about gardening? Getting dirty. I love coming inside and having mud-caked shoes and feet, dirt under my nails and my outfit covered in dirt. Gardening is elemental and practically a spiritual exercise. With that thought, here is my garden edition of the random 5!
1. I planted a butterfly garden tonight...all by myself. Meaning that I dug the hole, 4 ft. long by 1 1/2 ft. wide, placed all the individual plants and backfilled and watered it. We are doing what we can to help save the monarchs. They apparently only lay their larvae on milkweed, so we have some red milkweed. I paired it with ornamental grass on either side and some gaura in the middle. It looks great, but my back is sooooore.
2. Things are blooming! My mandevilla is going strong and my Kansas peonies are blooming. They are a beautiful dark fuchsia and smell great.
3. If you have a dog, you probably already know this, but BEWARE the land mines! Ugh. They are everywhere and stink so badly. I love my dog, but his poop is a different story.
4. Buying from an actual nursery is expensive, but usually well worth the time and money! Our local nursery was great about recommending plants to pair together in containers and had so much variety of everything. You can't find quite the same stuff at Home Depot or Lowe's garden centers. You also have a hard time finding help at those places...at least I do! Bonus: My nursery loaded pretty much everything for me!
5. One of the best feelings in the world is wiping off your brow, leaning on the shovel handle, popping the tab on a fresh beer, and surveying your handiwork. It's a delight to know that I can help things grow through some hard work and great plant choices.
Now that I'm done with the butterfly garden, I have my sight set on some cascading plants to fill the trough my husband built and hung on the inside of the fence next to our new patio. Any gardeners out there with colorful and low maintenance selections?
Have a great week everyone!